Friday, June 25, 2010

Field Trip Friday with Just Sew Sassy

Woohoo, it's Friday! Isn't Jax awesome! Guess what, not only are we good friends and blogging buddies, we're cousins too! I'm Staci from Just Sew Sassy. I'm a busy married lady with three crazy adorable kiddos five and under. Crafty things make me happy and keep me sane. I'm still pretty new to the whole craft blogging concept, but I'm sooo hooked. I'm so happy to be hanging out with all you super cool Aly and Ash followers today:)
So normally my projects include fabric, thread, a sewing machine, batting... You get the picture. But I'm stepping out of my comfort zone and onto the flower headband bandwagon. Wait. If there is one:)
Classy Chiffon Ruffled Headband

I do have to say that I LOVE ruffles, and this project was an excuse to play around with ruffles. I LOVED how it turned out!
What you need:

  • 1/8 yard of chiffon (this will give you enough for a couple of ruffled flowers)
  • 1/8 yard of tulle
  • thin headband
  • piece of felt to match your chiffon
  • button for the center of your flower
  • sewing machine
  • thread
  • self healing mat and rotary cutter (scissors work fine too)
  • hot glue gun
Step 1
Cut both your fabrics to desired width ( it doesn't have to be straight, the less straight the better, haha). I chose to cut two different sized pieces of each fabrics.
Step 2:
Next your going to fold your fabric in half and sew a gathering stitch (the loosest straight stitch on your sewing machine) and pull one of the threads on the end to gather your strip into a ruffle. Do this for each of your four strips.
Step 3:
Cut your felt to about the same size as your want your flower to be. You will glue your ruffles to this circle.
Step 4:
Your first layer will be the large tulle. Start in the middle and glue the inside edge of the tulle in a spiral design onto the felt .
Repeat with each of your four ruffled strips.
Hand stitch your button to the center of your ruffled flower. This will hold everything together and adds a great accent to your flower.
Step 5:
At this point you can add an alligator clip to the back and call it good. Or you can attach it to a headband. I went the headband route... You'll need to cut another circle of felt slightly smaller than the first one. Place your flower on top and slightly to the side of the headband. Hold in place while you glue the other felt circle to the back holding it in place.
Trim up your threads and ruffles til you like it. Voila!! Enjoy your ruffled flower headband!!!
Thanks again Jax for having me!!! Hope you all had fun! If you make one and would like to share, come share it with our Sassy Flickr Group.
Also come stop by Just Sew Sassy for some more fun tutorials and recipes...
Related Posts with Thumbnails

3 want.love.need.comments:

The Polka Dot Closet said...

Thank You that was great....Now I want a picture of someone wearing it!

Carol

jayayceeblog said...

So cute and you made it so easy ... great tutorial!

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

Ooh that is so cute! That would be perfect for a summer wedding. Thanks so much for the tutorial, I'll be linking.

Post a Comment