Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Tutorial Tuesday: Rock Star Tee & Template

Tutorial Tuesday
Rock Star Tee & Template

I am so excited about this shirt! I have been wanting to make Asher a cool electric guitar applique shirt for a while but couldnt find a template and can't sew a strait line much less the angles of a guitar...sooo
I made my own template and hand stitched with embroidery floss! I love it!

Here is how to make it and I have even included the template at the end of the tutorial! 

Step One:
Cut out the guitar from your template and iron the Wonder Under to the back of your fabric.
(Rough side down, follow Wonder Under directions)

Step Two:
Flip the guitar over and trace onto the Wonder Under.

Step Three:
Play around with placement and choose where you want your guitar and text.

Step Four:
Peel off the Wonder Under backing and place guitar on shirt where desired.

Step Five:
Cover with a damp cloth and iron guitar to shirt.

Step Six:
Trace the text onto matte side of the Freezer Paper and cut out your stencil using an xacto knife.
Iron stencil onto your shirt and fill in with fabric paint using a very small amount of paint in thin layers allowing to dry in between. (Don't forget to add back the shapes inside the letter "o" etc.)

Step Seven:
Hand stitch around your guitar using embriodery floss.
I split my floss to half thickness (three strands) but this isn't required.

Optional Step:
I used the letters I cut out for the stencil to create a messy reverse stencil on the back of the shirt. I got the "spray paint" look by blotting with an almost dry amount of paint on piece of toilet paper.

Voila!
 Now you have a super cool Rock Star shirt!

I'd love to see this in a pink fabric for a girl too! You can also use the guitar template as a freezer paper stencil and I have included the shapes of the "pickups" and "bridge" to add detail if desired. (The hubs said this was important!) Another fun idea would be to use your embroidery floss to detail the "tuning pegs" at the top.
(Did you just get a guitar anatomy lesson...cause I did!)

Rock Star Template

Now go make it and email me your pics!

And don't forget to {ENTER}

Related Posts with Thumbnails

35 want.love.need.comments:

Denise said...

Love that spray paint look on the back. This might be your best shirt yet! (Hmm...but the spider shirt was pretty darn cute...)

Brittany@twocrazycupcakes said...

Cute! I just made my lil sweet pea a very similar tank and purse in pink a couple weeks ago. You're awesome...I don't have the patience to cut the letters out LOL! http://twocrazycupcakes.blogspot.com/2010/04/girl-power-30-minute-purse-for-your.html

Sarah said...

I Love this! Super cute! I would love it if you linked up to my Talk About it Tuesday party because you have such cute ideas!

http://bloggerchixdesigns.blogspot.com/2010/04/im-currently-reading-marketing-book.html

Cap Creations said...

Great tutorial! Thank you for sharing!

Stacey said...

Love that! Great tutorial and cute guitar!! Thanks for sharing at 'Look at me, I'm SO Crafty!' at Fun to Craft.

Jess said...

This is REALLY cute Jax...you always come up with the cutest ideas! I wanted to let you know that I tagged you in a game...I just wrote about it on my anniversary post, so you can join in if you would like!

allie b dallie said...

Cute!! I noticed we've posted our rock star projects on some of the same sites this week. Great minds think alike!!
~Allie B
Here's mine: (Hope you don't mind me sharing mine w/ you!)
http://www.alliebdallie.com/2010/04/rock-star-baby-gift.html

Mom C said...

Very cute! You are so creative, great job. Be sure to post pics of Asher wearing this, when it fits him, which probably won't be long!

Unknown said...

Just darling. I love how you embedded Scribd on your blog. I didn't know you could do that!

Tina @ www.commoncentshome.blogspot.com said...

Very cute! My youngest son would love this. He wants to be a rock star when he grows up, I think this would be perfect for him. Thanks for the inspiration.

Unknown said...

It turned out so great! I love the back too. I'll have to try that technique out.

You are brave with the hand-stitching. I can't stand to sew by hand. Looks like it's time for another project on the machine!

seven thirty three said...

I love this! It would have been great with my daughers Rock Star Party! ;)

Thanks for linking up with Sugar & Spice.

Heather said...

Really, really cute. Love how it turned out, so special and unique!

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

This is great! Thanks for sharing the template. My son loves guitars and has 3-4 different kinds. With his birthday in June, this may be a nice gift to make for him.

Anonymous said...

That's fabulous, and a great tutorial. Thank you for sharing and linking on the Boardwalk Bragfest!

Anonymous said...

What a cute shirt! My daughter has rock and roll items for sale for babies at Chickadees, and the link is on my blog.

Rachel said...

Really cute! I love the hand-stitched look. Too cool!!

Saw your project on Creations by Cara.

Julianna said...

Awesome! I may have to borrow your template for a freezer paper stencil! Great job!

Jen @ lil Mop Top said...

Really cute! (and thanks for commenting on my 4th of July shirt- great idea to put it on a polo!) I am for sure going to try the rock star shirt...I am becoming addicted to freezer paper so it is perfect!

Andrea said...

I think my favorite part is the back! I love the guitar on the front but the rockstar on the back really makes the shirt. Super cool. Thanks for the template! If you want, stop by and link up to my weekly party for all things made to be worn. It is called Make It Wear it and it's there every Thursday at TheTrainToCrazy.com

Carolyn @ My Backyard Eden said...

Very fun! I love how the back looks airbrushed! Great tutorial too!

Thanks for sharing at Make it Yours Day!

Helena said...

Hi there! Just stopping by to let you know that I'm featuring this project today. Because it's so awesome.

http://lanieree.blogspot.com/2009/04/featuring-you.html

Kaysi said...

So cute!! I love how it turned out!

Tracey @ My House of Giggles said...

This is SO cute!! My little Toby would love it! Thanks for the great tutorial!!

Nicholette said...

Thanks for linking up to Saturday Spotlights today! I love how the shirt turned out!

Unknown said...

I love it! I could definitely see my daughter wearing a pink one!! Thanks for sharing @ Anything Related! Hope to see you next week!
~Rebekah~

Room to Inspire said...

Oh, I just love this shirt! Thank you so much for sharing the template and linking up to Be Inspired last week.

Chelsea

Jenn @ Delicious Ambiguity said...

Hi! I love your website and this shirt is awesome. I host a link up party called TOT TUESDAYS every Tuesday where people share their recipes, crafts and activities for toddlers. I’ve also currently got a giveaway for a Mother Earth scarf at the moment. I hope you’ll stop by:

http://www.mydeliciousambiguity.com/

Charity Donovan said...

This is adorable! I'm going to try to make this for my quadruplets. I think a hot pink guitar for my lone little girl will be adorable! TFS!

Jax @ AlyandAsh said...

Thanks for all the nice comments! I'm glad you guys liked it, I just posted another template to my side bar: "School of Rock" Enjoy!

Sara's Sweet Surprise said...

Hello, This is such an adorable Tee!
I've got a question about the freezer paper...
Do you use it as a bonding element, like fusible webbing? Or...is it primarily for creating the stencil?

Sweet wishes,
Sara.

Jax @ AlyandAsh said...

Hi Sara, I sent you an email but incase anyone else is wondering: The freezer paper is just for stenciling! I use Wonder Under for my appliques!

Ally's Corner said...

Just wanted you to know I used your template to make a t-shirt for my daughter who plays the guitar. I changed it up a little but it turned out so cute and my daughter loves it. I will be posting it on my blog this next week and I will be linking back to yours.

Jax @ AlyandAsh said...

That's awesome! I can't wait to see it! Can you send me an email with the picture as well so I can add it to my Aly&Ash facebook page! Thanks! alyashcreations@gmail.com

the thrifty ba said...

i just made a shirt with your guitar and posted it here http://thethriftyba.blogspot.com/2010/05/my-little-rockstar.html
i gave you some linky love too! thanks for the idea!

Post a Comment