Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Tutorial Tuesday: Father's Day Key Chain

Tutorial Tuesday
Father's Day Key Chain
Alright, it's day two of my great  crazy idea to do Father's Day Week and post a new DIY Father's Day gift idea each day! The good news though....I LOVE how this turned out and can't wait to give it to the hubs!

Here's what you need:
Wooden Tag
Picture
Scrapbook Paper
Mod Podge & Foam Brush
Key Ring
Ink Distress Pad & Sand Paper
 Leather Lace & Thread (Optional)

Step One:
Print your desired text onto your scrapbook paper. I used The Proclamation of the Family and formatted my text to print over my desired paragraph. (This took a few attempts to get it perfect, I'm not gonna lie!)

Step Two:
Trace and cut out the tag shape& hole from your photo and paper

Step Three & Four:
Ink distress and sand the edges of your paper. I choose not to ink distress my picture and only sanded the very edges so I would not scratch the photo. Apply a thin layer of Mod Podge to your paper and then place onto wooden tag.
 Crap...Oh Wait I Like That Moment:
While lightly rubbing the paper to make sure there were no bubbles a bit of the ink from my words rubbed off. I had a momentary freak out then realized I really like how it was "roughing up" the words...so I rubbed a little more! Seal top with a think layer of Mod Podge when dry.
-

Step Five:
Once completely dry flip your wooden tag over and Mod Podge on your picture. Seal as mentioned above and allow to dry. I did a second coat just around the edges of the wooden tag to prevent images from lifting.

Step Six:
Once everything is totally and completely dry attach key ring. You can end here if you'd like but I wanted to add some leather lace.
(I think that is as embellished as the hubs would allow!)

Adding Leather Lace:
I just cut my lace to the size I wanted and used a needle to thread through one side. Tie a knot at the end of your thread, leaving a long tail past the knot and pull through.
Wrap your thread around and around and around! Tie a knot with the thread you're holding and the tail left behind the 1st knot buried under the wrapped thread.
Trim the tails and wipe a little bit of Mod Podge over the knot are to help secure

You're Done and now have a super cute Father's Day Key Chain!

If you make one please send me a picture to add to the Aly&Ash Facebook group!
alyashcreations@gmail.com

Make sure to check out Yesterday's Father's Day Gift Idea and come back tomorrow for another one! Whew! Who's idea was this anyway...

And I'll be linking up as always with {These Great Blogs} including The Boardwalk Bragfest!
Related Posts with Thumbnails

39 want.love.need.comments:

Unknown said...

That is adorable! I have been eyeing up the Distressing ink at the store, but I'm too scared to commit. LOL! Maybe you'll have to give me some distressing lessons.
Nice use of the leather lace too. I like it! ;)

Jax @ AlyandAsh said...

Thanks Ashley, I have a couple different distressed ink pads, we'll have a distressing party next week!

Carrie said...

Cute AND useful. Great idea. thanks!

Unknown said...

Super cute and a fun idea! Thanks for sharing!

Staci J said...

I LOVE it!! Great job Jax!

Stacie said...

This is AWESOME!! LoVe how you used the Proclamation. I would LoVe it if you linked up to my I {heart} Dad link I have going on here:

http://thecreativecrate.blogspot.com/2010/06/link-up-your-fathers-day-ideas.html

Thanks so much for sharing! :)

Granny Annie said...

Coolest idea I've ever seen! Thanks for sharing.

- - Sheryl - - said...

awesome - easy tutorial. I see this for quite a few occasions. thanks

CraftCrave said...

Just a quick note to let you know that a link to this post will be placed on CraftCrave today [02 Jun 02:00pm GMT]. Thanks, Maria

One Cheap B*tch said...

I love this so much! What a really great idea! Definitely want to try it. Coming over from Coastal Charm and a happy new follower!

Jeanine

Anonymous said...

I absolutely LOVE this project.

Cindy Adkins said...

Oh my gosh--this is spectacular--amazing results and fabulous idea!!!!
HUGS,
Cindy Adkins
www.recoveryartist.com

Unknown said...

This is so precious! I love this idea ;)

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

Thanks so much for sharing these great Dad ideas! I'll be linking.

Diane said...

Great tutorial! Love that key chain. Great for any occasion.

I came here via Strut Your Stuff Thursday. Hope you can visit me sometimes over at Pittypat Paperie.

Unknown said...

LOVE THIS!! But then again if you know me you know I LOVE TAGZ!!! Thanks for joining us for Anything Related! ~Bridgette

Sam Criscola said...

Love photo projects! This turned out so CUTE! Great gift!!!

Rainy said...

Very nice. This is a great gift idea!!

Jessa said...

Any dad would love this, I have to try it, love the baby photo.

Mad in Crafts said...

Thanks for linking up to the Mad Skills party!

Mad in Crafts said...

I am going to be featuring this project on my blog tomorrow!

madincrafts.blogspot.com

The Chase's said...

I love this idea. It would make such a cute gift. Dumb question, where do you get your tags at? Thanks!

Unknown said...

Its very nice resource.I really appreciate you.You done a great job.Thanks for sharing with us.Don't stop your bloging.Keep it up....

Author quotes

Jax @ AlyandAsh said...

Aww shucks! Thanks Bilal!
The Chases - I got the wooden tags at Joann's!

Unknown said...

Beautiful! We have laminate samples at our creative reuse center that would work like the wooden tags! Thanks for the great idea! www.recreate.org

Lauralee @ The Eclectic Stitcher said...

Wonderful easy gift idea! May I post this link on my blog ~ http://eclecticstitcher.blogspot.com?
Lauralee >^.^<

Jax @ AlyandAsh said...

Absolutely Lauralee!

James and Laura Neibaur said...

Love this idea! We're going to use this for Relief Society!

Reid said...

Great idea! I'm new to the whole crafting world, so just wondering what effect does sanding the edges of the paper do?

Amber Mae said...

This is SO cute! I'm thinking of making a bunch with all of our babies on them as a sweet Valentine's gift :) Thanks for the tutorial!

Dana said...

Did you use a hole puncher for the picture? If so, what size? And if not, how did you make the hole in the picture without it looking messy?

Unknown said...

where did you get the wood tags

James Brown said...

Very informative site, i must bookmark it, keep posting interesting articles...
The Leatherman Tread

Shezi said...


14 August Wishes


14 August Messages

Unknown said...

O waooo Really best post
Short Fathers Day Poems2018

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...


14 August Urdu Poetry |Pakistan Independence Day Pictures 2018.


14 – 15 August Independence day SMS Text Message 2018

Happy Independence Day 2018 Quotes/14 august quotes.

14th August 2018 profile pics (DPs), cover photos.


Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Eliza Lewis said...

Fantastic Post!Lot of information is helpful in some or the other way.Keep updating dad fathers day keychain

Post a Comment