Tuesday, July 13, 2010

A Different Kind of Swap w/ Kristan from Confessions of a Cookbook Queen!

It all started with a tweet! Kristan from Confessions of a Cookbook Queen {@bakescupcakes} tweeted one night that she wanted Pie. I replied, "I want pie too, maybe you should make me one!" Y'know Kristan being the super amazing baker and all! Her reply...Let's do a swap! 
-
So the rules of our swap were this:
We'd ship each something. She'd send baking and I'd send something crafty! It had to be a surprise and we'd blog about it when we got it! Fun right!

So Friday evening just when I thought I'd have to wait till Saturday for my parcel it arrived!
I was so excited I couldn't wait to rip into it!


How fricken cute! Look at these individually wrapped little beauties


I was so excited! Not only did she make the most adorable little cupcake cookies but she made cookies resembling the Bandanna Shirt I made Asher recently! Simply Amazing!


And yes...that is edible Glitter!


I still can't believe she made cookies to match one of my shirts!


The detail on the bandanna's is just so cool!


And not only did Kristan send me these goodies to eat but she also sent over the recipe so I could share with all my fabulous readers! Yeah she's pretty cool like that!
So thanks again Kristan! I had so much fun doing our swap! 
Too see what I sent Kristan check out her blog: Confessions of a Cookbook Queen
And come back tomorrow for the cutest Wordless Wednesday you've ever seen involving one said Bandanna Cookie!!! 
You don't want to miss it!

-

Sugar Cookies: from the book Cookie Sensations

http://www.amazon.com/Cookie-Sensations-Creative-Designs-Occasion/dp/B001KZI7KO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1278976412&sr=1-1

4 cups all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 cups granulated sugar
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 tablespoon water

Mix together and set aside the flour, salt, and baking powder. In a large bowl with an electric mixer or in the bowl of a standing mixer, cream the butter and sugar on medium speed. Beat in the eggs. Add the flour mixture and blend on low speed. Add the vanilla extract and blend. Add the water if the dough feels dry.

Knead the dough into a ball, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.  Remove dough, break it off in thirds, and knead until it is pliable and easy to handle. Roll on a floured surface to about a quarter inch thickness and cut with a cookie cutter.

Bake on a parchment paper lined baking sheet at 375 for about 10 minutes or until edges are golden brown.

(This recipe is so easy and the ingredients are so basic, but it is my absolute favorite for rolled sugar cookies. The cookies always keep their shape and taste great!)

Icing (From the blog Bake At 350)

http://bakeat350.blogspot.com/2010/01/royal-icing-102-or-201-or-whatever.html


4 TBSP meringue powder
scant 1/2 c. water
1 lb. powdered sugar
1/2 tsp light corn syrup (optional)
few drops clear extract (optional)

Combine the meringue powder and water. With the paddle attachment of an electric mixer, beat until combined and foamy.

Sift in the powdered sugar and beat on low to combine. (Do NOT skip the sifting!)

Add in the corn syrup and extract if desired. (Corn syrup helps keep the icing shiny and extract will give it flavor)

Increase speed to med-high/high and beat for about 5 minutes, just until the icing is glossy and stiff peaks form.

Cover with plastic wrap touching the icing or divide and color using gel paste food colorings.

-

Bake at 350 also has excellent tutorials on outlining your cookies and filling them in with thinned icing.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

5 want.love.need.comments:

Unknown said...

Love it! Those cupcake cookies are so amazing! Now I'm hungry and want cookies :P

Honey Lamb and I said...

I have never seen edible glitter! So cool! ~Shelley O.

Anonymous said...

That is the cutest idea ever to have a swap! AND I adore glitter and have never ever seen edible glitter, how stinkin' cute!

Unknown said...

Those are fantastic! Those shirts are amazing. What a fun idea.

Anonymous said...

How awesome is that?!?!!! I think that is amazing -- first the swap - then the cookies. Darling. Something I want to do someday now. :-)

Post a Comment